Vince O.
Vince O., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience repairing lawn and garden equipment. Chainsaws, mowers,blowers and trimmers

I have a 2 cycle Ryobi blower, wacker, etc. equipment. Until

Customer Question

I have a 2 cycle Ryobi for my blower, weed wacker, etc. equipment. Until recently it was running fine, then suddenly, in the middle of a job, it started to stall out. Putting on the choke helped but now, form cold, it does not start either with choke on or off. I am using 1 month old leaded gas with the appropriate oil mixture.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Vince O. replied 4 months ago.

Hello, did you check for spark? If there is spark and it starts run it til it acts up. If it quits and won't restart recheck for spark before it cools off. Remove the plug to see if wet and look to see what color the plug is, br bl ok, if grey could be problems.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I removed the sparkplug and reconnected it to the sp wire, pulled the rope and do not see anything,,, is this the correct procedure? and if so I suppose I should get a new sp?
Expert:  Vince O. replied 4 months ago.

The plug has to be touching metal. if that is how you checked that is correct. If no spark try another plug. If still no spark it could be the coil, the switch or a wiring problem. What is the model number?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Have spark -- Ryobi Model RY28101
Expert:  Vince O. replied 4 months ago.

What color was the plug?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Plug is RCJ6Y -- spark area is dark, was damp when I first took it out, no significant buildup on prong...
Expert:  Vince O. replied 4 months ago.

Engine could be flooded now. Dry off plug. Turn upside down and with the switch off pull rope several times to see if any excess gas blows out.Re install plug , squeeze trigger and pull to start-NO choke or prime.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay -- did that and nothing happened, compression but no firing. Tried priming 3 pumps and got short firing with choke off. Primed 3 times again and tried with choke on -- same result -- short firing burst but nothing else --- stopped at that point.
Expert:  Vince O. replied 4 months ago.

Did you check compression with a gauge?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No, I do not have a gauge, but the resistance on the pull is high when the plug is in, I believe it is good.
Expert:  Vince O. replied 4 months ago.

Not seeing the trimmer makes it tough to diagnose. Is the fuel filter still connected to the fuel line? Was the carb screws loose when carb was first removed? There could be an air leak (torn gasket) Or even a frozen ring. Try opening the adjustment screws a 1/2 turn

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have not touched anything since I bought the unit. The carb cover is a snap-off unit and the air filter is clean. Which screw do I turn and which direction. There are two screws...
Expert:  Vince O. replied 4 months ago.

The lo speed is closest to the engine.Standard thread but a special tool may be needed. You can try tapping a piece of 3/16 copper tubing on the screw to turn it.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry for the break. A/C failed, then we had other personal issues taking us through the weekend. My unit has one Philips head screen in the center of the carb. Not sure what you mean by closest to the engine. Please advise