Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have cub cadet I 2012 the parking brake is stuck and the

Customer Question

i have cub cadet I 2012 the parking brake is stuck and the mower moves real slow and making noise like rubbing
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: the parking brake appears to do nothing when you set it to lock position down or unlock up position. the level does nothing
JA: Is there anything else the Small Engine Technician should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 months ago.

Model number of the unit? 13A1234G230 example

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
2012 I1050 model zero turn 50 inch deck advantage I series

Each transmission has it's own brake. Does the rubbing seem worse on one side or the other? They are mechanical disc brakes with a caliper , disc and brake pads on each side. 150, 151, 152, 153, and 100 make the brake. see link below.

Brake caliper bolts, (2) can be loosened to free up the brakes, then the brake parts prayed with WD40 to free them up, test machine then re-tighten the bolts if all works.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am not thinking its the physical brakes. Because it does not make noise when hitting brake pedal. When you hit forward control pedal, appears that the parking brake stuck and will not release. When you push the parking brake to unlock or to lock, the lever does not move , up or down. The mower is usually very fast, but runs slow when pedal all the way down and then the mower makes aloud metal to metal rubbing noise underneath the seat, like parking brake is not disengaging and letting the forward control pedal to drive.

Parking brake apply s the physical brakes! Linkage runs to both brake assemblies. I would loosen the two calipers and see if they won't release.

I see question still open, did you find problem?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Friend came over and followed the lever for the parking brake to the back tires. Took off tires and saw the spring and release levers to brakes was stuck. He used wd 40 strayed multiple times and finally released.

Just as I suggested! Thanks for the reply, please rate to close!