Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Ridgid Generator that came with a Yamaha MZ360

Customer Question

hi Pearl. I have a Ridgid Generator that came with a Yamaha MZ360 engine. It needs a new carburator, but I can't tell what the replacement part is. I've taken the carb off and know it's made by Mikuni
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Small Engine Technician should know?
Customer: the carb has the following numbers etched on the top of it... 7CT60Z271
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 months ago.

Looks like this?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it does not look like that. mine does not have a solenoid.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
would it help if I sent you a picture?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the generator starts, it runs for 5 to 10 minutes and then shuts off. I had a service technician look at it one time. He disassembled and cleaned it, but got the same results, i.e. it ran for a few minutes and then shut off. It was he who told me I should just get a new carb off eBay or something because he understood the carbs on these generators were problematic. Problem is I just can't find what's the right part.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
to be clear, he disassembled and cleaned the carburetor, but got the same results

did you see the link on the carb?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I've provided you a couple of pictures. if it would help you, I can take off the air cleaner and remove the carb to get you better pictures or pictures from a different angle
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I did see the link from Amazon that you provided. I do not believe that is the correct carb. My carb does not have a solenoid and it looks like that one does. Mine doesn't have any electrical wires coming off of it

Here it is!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I had also found that one before. it's close, but not exact. I don't know if it is close enough for it to work on my generator. The throttle lever looks slightly different. If it were under $40 or so I'd buy it just to try. But, this one is $140. I don't know if this tells you anything but the one on the AliExpress website you just sent has the # ***** Z282 etched on it. Mine is 7CT60 Z271.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the choke on the one on the AliExpress website is also different than the choke on mine, but I can certainly live with that

i think it will work, but we could address the engine dying. When engine dies, does it restart immediately or does it have to sit and cool? Does it have spark when it quits?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it restarts fairly quickly. how do I know if it has a spark when it quits?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the technician who had looked at it earlier believed that the fuel would cut off. more specifically, he believed the float in the carb would just get stuck and therefore the engine would die

Possible, but sticking float usually does not come back unless carburetor is tapped on. To check spark, take a spare spark plug and as soon as it quits, remove spark plug wire and attach the spare spark plug , and with it grounded, see if there is spark. If no spark, locate the ignition coil and remove the kill wire, and test again. If no spark with kill wire removed, the coil is failing. If it does have spark, the kill circuit is killing the spark, maybe a oil pressure shutdown!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
you think it might not be the carb after all?

I would do some testing before replacing carb!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am capable of taking something apart and putting it back together. I've changed the spark plug, so that's no problem. However, I wouldn't know how to find the ignition coil if it bit me.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
how do I find the ignition coil and the kill wire

spark plug wire is coming directly out of it!

and kill wire is the only wire on the coil, other than the spark plug wire cable.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
how do I ground the spark plug, per your suggestion above?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
is the ignition coil something that is also replaceable? If it's relatively inexpensive I can just buy one of those and change it out to see if I get better results

you just lay it so it is touching metal to metal, on the threaded end. Or use a wire with alligator clips as ground to the thread on the plug .

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
would you suggest I just change the ignition coil and try that?

No, not without checking it for spark.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I've reread what you suggest I do to test the ignition coil. can you explain what you mean by oil pressure shut down? what would cause the oil pressure to drop?

First we need to test with spark plug grounded , when it quits! If it has spark, it will be fuel problem. Only if you find no spark, would you want to go any further. As for the oil pressure shutoff, it can be a bad oil pressure switch.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok this is helpful, but I need to go to church now. this is the first time I've used this service. is it possible to pick up the conversation again a little later?

Yes, there should be a link in your email to get back.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok thank you, ***** *****

thank you

Did you find the problem?