Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Husqvarna YTH2448T that will not start. When I try

Customer Question

I have a Husqvarna YTH2448T that will not start. When I try to start it I can hear the soleniod click and the starter tries to turn but stops immediately. I replace the battery and the problem continued.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 months ago.

Briggs twin engine? If you remove the spark plugs will the starter spin the engine? May have fluid on top of piston.??? Do you have a voltmeter to see what battery voltage drops to when you turn key to start?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have not tried that. Yes I have a voltmeter. I will check and get back with you.

OK>

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's a Briggs 24 Twin V OHV. I disconnected the plugs and I could still hear the solenoid click and see the starter try to turn. When I placed the voltmeter the battery dropped from 12.6 to 8.6 when I tried to start the mower

Remove the spark plugs and see if it will spin. Or is that what you did, you said disconnected.??

Can you turn the engine using the screen on top, to be sure engine is not locked?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it will turn.

But not with starter?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Correct. I did find the starter gear was engaged. Once I got it to disengage, I was able to turn the engine by hand. I reconnected the spark plugs and tried to start the engine. When I tried to restart the engine, the starter will now engage and try to start the engine. The engine is now turning over but is not starting. I'm getting a lot of backfires from the engine. I've tried adjusting the choke but it will not start.

When did engine last run?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
About 2 weeks ago

No problems then? Worked ok, till parked?

One more time, did you remove the spark plugs from the heads?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
When the problem occurred my daughter had started it and backed it out of the shed. She said it just quit running and would not restart. I ask her if it made any sounds when it quit and she said no. She checked the gas and could see it had fuel in the tank. Yes I removed the plugs from the block. They are reinstalled now.

You spun the engine with the plugs removed? To clear anything in the cylinders? If so, I'm going to go out on a limb ad ask you to remove one of the valve covers, and look at the valves and pushrods. These engines have history of bending or braking pushrods. If you do find pushrod problem , check both cylinders!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Will do. Thank

Let me know!