Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I have a 17.5 hp Briggs and Statton Intek engine with about

Customer Question

I have a 17.5 hp Briggs and Statton Intek engine with about 20 hours on it. Today I was running the engine and it just died. I figured that I had a plugged filter or something, so I did all the checking to try and find the problem. The gas is ok, the filter is ok, the plug looks fine, but it won't start. I shot some starting fluid into the air cleaner and it started and ran, as long as I kept squirting it with the ether, but as soon as I stopped, it would die again. It sounds like its probably a carburetor problem, but that seems pretty strange with an almost new engine.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the Small Engine Technician should be aware of?
Customer: Not that I can think of. Thanks.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 months ago.

The carburetor has an electric solenoid in the base of it. It has to have 12 volts to it from the time the key is turned on, until key is turned off. Do you hear the solenoid click if yu flip key on and off? It should click as you tunr on the key, it blocks the main jet in the carburetor, so if it does not open, you get no fuel.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That was the problem. It's running fine now. Thanks very much for the help.

Good job! Please rate to close and get me credit! Thanks!