Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I have a Onan 4K micro quiet. My generator was running fine

Customer Question

I have a Onan 4K micro quiet. My generator was running fine and then it started slightly rev down then up quickly. Then it shut down after screw days and I got a fault code 3 then 14. I thought maybe it was my fuel filter because it is due to be changed or fuel pump. I can't start it and it run for maybe a minute and shuts down with same error code. Engine seems to be moving to fast over frequency so it shuts down. What would cause this?
JA: Let's get those codes to the mechanic so you two can figure this issue out ASAP. How many miles are on the car?
Customer: 900 hours on generator
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I have appointment with Onan but not until end of month and I'm a full timer so I want to try and fix it now
JA: Is there anything else important you think the RV Mechanic should know about your RV?
Customer: It's new relatively new. 2014 leprechaun and I keep up on generator maintenance excepts for I forgot to change fuel filter at 500 hours. I use my generator all the time so carb should be ok but not sure at this point
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the RV Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What is the full model number of the genset?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
4.0 ky-fa/26100
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

There is a letter after the "26100". I need to know what that letter is.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

On the data plate, there is a letter after the "4KYFA/26100" I need that letter so I know which control system the genset has.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can see the throttle spring is broken.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

Which spring are you calling a throttle spring?

There is a spring on the throttle shaft/tang, a spring on the choke rod, a spring on the throttle/governor rod, and 2 springs on the governor itself.