Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I have an older EZ-Go gas car that has served me well years.

Customer Question

Hi - I have an older EZ-Go gas car that has served me well for many years. Suddenly, when cold, ass in not used for an hour +, it very little happens when I step on the pedal to start it. I usually hear a clicking sound that fades away, then the starter motor/generator starts to turn but very slowly. If I keep my foot on the pedal it starts to go as little faster and a little faster until after a few minutes it starts turning over like normal and starts right up. After using it for a minute or two it will start and run normally until I let it sit for awhile and then it does it again. I have replaced the battery and fully charged, and new battery cables. Thoughts?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 months ago.

Gas engine, when you press the pedal, there is micro switch that has to close, and it engages the starter solenoid, which spins the starter and starts the engine. The starter solenoid may not be making contact, so it is slow to turn the starter. Use voltmeter and see if the solenoid is sending full battery voltage to the starter/generator. Wiring diagram attached below.

A new spark plug or plugs is always helpful for better start.