Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Troy Built TB22EC that will start but won't stay

Customer Question

I have a Troy Built TB22EC that will start but won't stay running.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: I prime it 10 times. I use the electric start and it starts. It runs briefly for about 10 seconds and then sputters to a stop.
JA: Is there anything else the Small Engine Technician should be aware of?
Customer: No, that's it. It's only about 3 years and used no more than 10 times. I use pre-mixed fuel without ethanol.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have bubbles in the primer? Indicating that there is a fuel leak in one of the fuel lines? Is your carburetor the adjustable version? Try adjusting the high speed screw.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No bubbles observed. Hi and low speed screws require special tool to adjust. I did remove and spray clean the carburetor from both sides and used a file on the spark plug. Unit started and ran better, but still hard to start without electric assist. The spark plug gap seems s large at .050". I've ordered replacement carb, spark plugs, and fuel tank for $41.00 from MTD who owns Troy-Bilt. I'll start with replacing plug. What's the right gap? Then carb if necessary and finally fuel tank assembly.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.

spark gap .025 to .028 inch. You can use a rubber tube slipped over the screws on the carburetor to turn them.