Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

My deere D140 stalls and fouls out my plugs 2014Briggs

Customer Question

HI. my john deere D140 stalls and fouls out my plugs 2014Briggs EBSXS.7242va eng. when i engage my PTO cylinder compression is off by 30psi between cylinders do you think my pto switch is bad
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 months ago.

What is mower doing? Is it firing on both cyliders? Run a cylinder balance test. Loosen the spark plug wires, and with engine idling, remove one wire at a time. Engine should continue to run. If engine dies when one wire is removed, the opposite cylinder is not firing. The pto switch should not affect engine running, other than the extra load on the engine.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My engine runs the same when i disconnect the plug wires when idling.while idling ican egage the PTO and it will stay running ,but when i take the throttle off idle it dies

You say plugs are fouling? Black carbon deposits? Too little air, too much fuel. Is the choke plate in the carburetor fully opening?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
whats that solenoid on the bottom of carb. bowl

that is anti-backfire solenoid that closes the main jet when key is turned off. It opens as soon as the key is turned on and stays open till key is turned off, then it closes the main jet to keep engine from backfiring when hot. Some people call it a fuel shutoff, but that is not its purpose.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have the PTO belt off the engine sill stalls and fouls the spark plugs could my PTO be bad.

With engine off, can you spin the pto clutch? It should not lock, until the key is on and the pto switch is pulled.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The PTO seems to be working OK. Do you think i have a carb. problem.And if you do is my float level off. and if you do what changed i have bee a mechanic for 35 years but i dont have much experance on big mowers like this. do i need to replace the carb.

Yes, carburetor problem, float leaking, or jets in carburetor fell out! Here is link showing carb. has two part.s

part 1

part 2