Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment, trucks and small engine diagnostics and repair - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

Have a older sullair 375 DPQ JD Maithili with low hours (

Customer Question

Have a older sullair 375 DPQ JD Maithili with low hours ( about 600 ) running a 20small air track rock drill. Runs great and puts out ample air for the job. For a while now and getting worse it will just die 10 - 20 minutes after starting . It always restarts and runs fine - for another 10 - 20 minutes ,then starts dieing about every 5 or less minutes. Replaced the fuel filter , alternator ,batteries , cleaned the cables ,and the toggle switch to start . Still stopping ! What do you do next ? There must be some kind of auto fuel cut off switch but where . Found a fuse by the injector pump but it was good .
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Should read : Have an older sullair 375 (1994 year model 375 DPQ JD ) with low hours ( around 600 hours ) running a small air - track rock drill .
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Could there be a bad oil pressure sending unit shutting this compressor down after running a little while ? If so where is it and can it be tested and / or bypassed until it can be replaced ? Does this model 375 have a temp sensor that can shut it down ? All gauges are good to go and reading safe ! Does this model even have these safety shut offs ? Thanks
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Hi Tommy my name is***** will be glad to try to help. What is the complete model and serial number? What are you getting for warning indicators or fault codes?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Model 375 DPQ JD. Serial No004-112686 I don't believe this model even has warning indicators or fault codes , if so it is showing nothing !
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for the update. what is the complete engine model from the ID tag so I can look up the fuel system information I need. When this dies is it instant like the key is shut off? Is there still power at the fuel shutoff solenoid on the pump? If so then is it stalling like it is starving for fuel?

Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Check for power art the fuel shutoff. If its missing then it could be shutting down for low coolant, coolant temp, oil pressure, etc. If not actual faults then could be a wiring or sensor /switch problem. If that checks okay check the fuel supply for restrictions or leaks sucking in air or possible faulty injection pump. Let me know

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Compressor is at the mine will get this info to you later today or tomorrow morning. Yes it dies instantly as if no fuel but the tanks are full. Without any manuals ( trying to get some on the way ) is the wire at the top of the injector pump most likely the selonoid fuel shut off I need to check for power / loss of power ? This is a John Deere motor you have all ready figured out.
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Yes the solenoid depending on the JD engine model will either be a remote mounted solenoid with linkage to the pump shutoff or if standadyne style pump will be in the top of the pump with a single wire to it. It should have power with the key on and engine running.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks Dan , will get back with you later with this info as soon as I can .
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Pleasure to help Tommy.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sorry Dan , but can't make it out to the compressor until first thing in the morning . Will make the power check at the injector pump wire and get the motor ID # ***** then send you another message here . No service at the mine 30 miles from Tonopah Nv.
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Sounds good and no worries Tommy. We can post back and forth as needed here. I have my daughters graduation and family activities going on this weekend so my time will be limited over the weekend but I will reply back on my available logins