Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators

I have a Westerbeke 5.5Kw diesel generator in a boat. It is

Customer Question

I have a Westerbeke 5.5Kw diesel generator in a boat. It is running fine but not producing any electricity to the panel. The reset is not tripped, breaker is not tripped and has been turned off and on. The electric motor on the generator part seems to be rotating. It was working fine, the next week i came to boat i cranked up and went to switched from shore power on breaker panel and i noted no power available. there was water in the aft section where the generator is housed but did not seem to reach the generator.
The previous owner of the boat said there is a capacitor on the generator side that has popped and has had to replace one or 2 times. wondering if that is common?
I tried to change, because he had one as a spare, but it seemed stuck in housing and did not want to pull to hard with pliers, it is hard to access. Is that normal to have to really pull with force to get out.
Shay *******
Any other sugestions
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What is the model number of the genset?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
5.5 BCD
SN# *****
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
genset model number
westerbeke 5.5BCD
SN# *****
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

Sorry, I was at work when you responded. I work 2 day jobs, and help on Just Answer in the evenings.

A blown capacitor is the most common cause of no power on this unit.

The capacitor should fit fairly snugly in there, to keep it from vibrating out. Most of them have a small strap holding them in that you have to loosen to get them out.

It is also possible that corrosion has set in and is holding it in place.

Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

Was this what you wanted to know?