Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

SAME PROBLEM WITH JD 318 S/N 362482 A CASE. ENGINE DIES WHEN

Customer Question

SAME PROBLEM WITH JD 318 S/N 362482 A CASE. ENGINE DIES WHEN PTO IS ENGAGED. REPLACED PTO SWITCH EARLIER THIS YEAR FOR DIFFERRENT PROBLEM, HAVE BY PASSED SEAT SWITCH WITH NL HELP. CANNOT FIND BRAKE PEDAL SWITCH ON THIS UNIT OR ANY EVIDENCE OF IT BEING THERE. NO SWITCH LISTED IN PARTS MATERIAL. THAT LEADS TO TDC BUT IS RATHER EXPENSIVE GUESS.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Small Engine Technician should know?
Customer: PROBLEM STARTED WITH ALSO THE BATTERY LIGHT ON. REPLACED FUSE AND BATTERY LIGHT IS OUT, AND IS CHARGING 14.1 AT WOT
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  John Oliver replied 6 months ago.

good afternoon Emily my name is ***** ***** ill see what I can do to help. I assume the engine cuts out as if the switch was turned off or is it possible the engine is stalling out due to lack of power?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Engines dies and does not lack for power. Does like safety switch is not closec.

sorry for the late response Emily. so on that old of a machine there weren't many safety features. the main one is the seat switch which you said you have bypassed. I would still use a test light and be sure power is flowing threw the bypassed wiring. there also should be a circuit breaker under the hood just behind the battery that should be tested for power. if the electric clutch has shorted or failed it will trip that breaker. It would be ok to unplug the clutch and see if the engine dies when you engage the pto. the time delay modual could also be at fault. not very many good ways to test those really. eliminate all other possabilites before replacing that

#44 Is the module

#28 would be your breaker