John Oliver
John Oliver,
Experience:  manager at White Eagle Ag and Truck Services
93794869

I have a 1999 toro personal pace manual start mower. The

Customer Question

I have a 1999 toro personal pace manual start mower. The kill switch is disconnected. I was mowing and had to leave the mower for a short time, I left it running. When I returned in about 3 to 5 minutes it was no longer running and was hot, smoke would come from the oil tank when cap removed. Engine is not locked and pull start easy but will not start.. Suggestions?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  John Oliver replied 6 months ago.

hey Greg my name is ***** ***** ill try and help you out. Have you been able to check for spark? when you say it pulls over easy do you mean more than normal? when you remove the spark plug to check for spark make sure the piston is moving when you yank the starter cord

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just went out and tried to start it and it started, guess it just had to cool a little more.

excellent! word of advise...those smaller engines don't cool well at idle, they need that flywheel turning fast to move air. Maybe cut down the idle time if possible to avoid any damage

happy mowing and have a great day