John Oliver
John Oliver,
Experience:  manager at White Eagle Ag and Truck Services

I bought a used Kubota T1760. It ran fine the first time

Customer Question

I bought a used Kubota T1760. It ran fine the first time then started spitting and sputtering. It kept running so I got it into the garage and turned it off. After that, it would turn over but not start, I took it in to a local garage type mechanic. He was vague on what he did with the carb but it worked for a short while, (less than 1 hr). It would smoke badly (blue/white) for 10 sec and then work fine. I changed the oil and it seamed to work fine for a while (almost enough time to mow the lawn). Now it lost power and was sputtering again. I turned it off and now it won't start again. Ideas?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  John Oliver replied 4 months ago.

hello David my name is ***** ***** ill see if I can help you threw this issue. first question I have is does the engine oil smell like gas? is it over full. the old oil have a gas smell to it?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I just changed the oil last weekend. It is full but not over full. I didn't notice a gas smell in the oil but I can check it again as I have not yet discarded the used oil.

ok. The reason I ask is it sounds like the float in your carberator is giving you trouble. the best thing may be to try running an additive in the fuel such as K100 or "sea foam" that may help clean out the gum deposits left by the gas. if that helps you will know its a fuel/carburetor issue

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I had the mower in the shop and don't know exactly what the mechanic did but it worked for less than a mowing before the problems I am experiencing started. I did check the old oil and it did have a strong gas smell, and this was after the mechanic worked on the machine and should have done an oil change as part of the service.

ok. simple fix really. basicly your carburetor is allowing to much fuel into the engine

so your fix would be 1 of 3 things

1) run the additive and see if that helps clear things up

2) remove and rebuild the carb

3) replace the carb

hope this helps and please feel free to write in with what you find