Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My Koehler 700 cc on a 60 inch bad boy tractor is not

Customer Question

Hello, my Koehler 700 cc on a 60 inch bad boy tractor is not running properly. It only has 33 hours on the engine. Starts and runs fine for a bit, then starts reving and slowing consistently. Does idling and while mowing. New gas and have checked fuel filter. Seems like maybe the governor or the carberator jets? Please advise
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 months ago.

Could the fuel supply from the tank, be restricted? Sounds like a lack of fuel, not governor or carburetor jets. Make a test line from the fuel pump inlet, the line from the tank, and drop it back into the fuel tank filler opening, to bypass the tank outlet up to the fuel pump. If no change, the fuel solenoid in the base of the carburetor may not be staying open.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I pulled the filter to see fuel is flowing. I can try the bypass, but don't think that is the issue. I can see the idle are revving up and down. Why I was thinking it was an issue besides lack of fuel. Would this be created by the fuel solenoid?

The revving up and down can be from a coil not firing. It's just that you have to start somewhere. I like running a cylinder balance test, loosen the spark plug wires and with engine idling,remove one wire at a time. Engine should continue to run, if engine dies when either wire is removed, the opposite cylinder is not firing. Check it for spark and fuel. If engine is only running on one cylinder, it will cause this.

Did you see my response?