Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I have a JD 160. when I turn the key it grinds and tries to

Customer Question

I have a JD 160. when I turn the key it grinds and tries to turn over, but won't turn the engine.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: I had it running and cutting for about an hour in tall grass. It began to chirp in turns. I turned it off to let it cool and then it wouldn't restart.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Small Engine Technician should know?
Customer: no, I just got the JD.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 months ago.

What is the battery voltage , before and when you turn key to start?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm not sure. It's down on a farm I own and I just got back home. It started up easy when I loaded it that day and then again when I started mowing. I had turned it off several times while mowing to move things out of my way.

Battery may be discharged or cables may be loose or making a bad connection. You did check to be sure engine will turn manually?

My response shows as customer.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I was able to turn the engine manually and when I turned the key it tried to turn itself, but couldn't. It seemed to be cranking pretty strong, though.

I think the battery may be too low to crank the engine. I would be prepared to jump start or replace the battery, and take new spark pugs.