Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Craftsman Power Washer, model 580.752531 The past

Customer Question

Hi I have a Craftsman Power Washer, model###-##-#### The past few months it has been harder to start, which I usually have to do with the wand trigger open. Sometimes when I let off the trigger while washing, the engine will bind down and die. Now, when I try to start it, it chugs for awhile and eventually dies. Gas came out of the exhaust at one point while trying to start it. Often it seems vapor locked and I cant even pull start it. Suggestions?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 6 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. Can you check your oil and see if it smells like gas or is thin ? . If so do not start it or try to

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi John, thanks for getting back to me. Yes, it is thin and smells like fuel. Not good right?

Well it means the carburetor needs rebuilt and the oil in the engine changed . What is happening is the carburetors needle and inlet valve aren't sealing, so gas is continuing to flow when the float has closed and it travels up the main jet and runs down into the manifold past the valves and into the crankcase mixing with the oil