Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a Briggs and Stratton 17.5 hp engine that the gas is

Customer Question

I have a Briggs and Stratton 17.5 hp engine that the gas is getting mixed in the oil. What could be causing this the gas to mix with the oil?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: It will crank but runs rough. If i turn the gas shut off valve off, then the engine runs normal but only for a few seconds. I changed the oil, and cranked the engine, but it ran rough for about a minute and stopped. The engine was flooded and there was gas mixed back in the oil.
JA: Is there anything else the Small Engine Technician should be aware of?
Customer: It ran fine one weekend, and about two weeks later when I cranked the mower back up is when this problem started.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I will be happy to assist you. The reason your engine is running rough, is likely due to your carburetor is operating too rich. Have you checked your needle valve and seat, and the condition of your float?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I have not checked the valve and seat.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your reply. Due to the fact the your oil has gas mixed in with it, I am lead to believe that your carburetor needs to be inspected, and given a really good cleaning. Check your valve seat really close, and also inspect your float for leaks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks, ***** ***** clean the carburetor and check the valve seat and the float. If I have any further questions I will ask. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome! I do hope all goes well for you.