Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

Briggs Eng. 6.75 self-prep eng. runs good, but is hard to

Customer Question

Briggs Eng. 6.75 self-prep eng. runs good, but is hard to start. the Carb. has been rebulit and the primer pump has been replaced, what do i do now?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 6 months ago.

Hello Douglas. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I will be happy to assist you. I would like to confirm something. Are you saying that your engine runs good after it starts up, but is hard to initially start.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Donald replied 6 months ago.

Thanks for your reply. Did you replace the gasket between your plastic air filter housing, and your carburetor?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I can put some gas into the carburetor and it will start, but it will not start if i do not put gas into the carb. first.
Expert:  Donald replied 6 months ago.

There are two possible reasons why your primer is not supplying enough fuel to start your engine.

• The gasket between your air filter housing and carburetor, could be bad, and causing an air leak.
  • Or your plastic air filter housing could be distorted, and not sealing properly.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the plastic air filter housing is not distorted and the gasket is new, also the pump has been replaced
Expert:  Donald replied 6 months ago.

When you press your primer bulb, do you see a small stream of fuel enter your carburetor?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no!
Expert:  Donald replied 6 months ago.

If you are not seeing a stream, this is usually because your housing being at fault. I have replace several of them in the past. Process of elimination. your gasket is new.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks anyway Donald, you have a great day!
Expert:  Donald replied 6 months ago.

You are very welcome! I hope all goes well for you.