Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Have a dixon ztr 54# with a kawasaki engine. has been

Customer Question

have a dixon ztr 54# ***** a kawasaki engine. has been running fine, but now when i try to start it, i only get a click from the starter sylaniod and no hour meter or nothing else
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 months ago.

What does the battery voltage read when you turn key to start and the solenoid clicks/ Did you remove spark plugs to see if engine will turn? If there is fluid on top of piston, starter will not be able to turn the engine.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't have a volt tester I do know that when I tried to jump it sparks came off of the positive post which tells me that there's still plenty of juice what else do I try I'm a novice
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I think it's a safety switch somewhere but I don't know where to check aside from the ones that I mentioned already

remove the two spark plugs and see if engine will spin, A safety switch would keep solenoid from engaging or clicking!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
When you see when you say turn see if the engine turns what does that mean does that mean try to turn the starter on and see if the engine turns

You want to see if there is fluid on top of a piston. So you remove the spark plugs, and try the starter, if it has fluid, it will come out the open spark plug holes and free up the engine. You would then replace the spark plugs and see if engine runs.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK try that pulled the spark plugs out but when I turn the key nothing happens the solenoid clicks but I get it it's like I have no power to the starter
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The engine our meter will not even turn on it's digital
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I can only find one fuse it's a 20 amp fuse that goes to the starter but it appears to be OK

Battery cables clean and tight at the battery and the cables, negative to the frame, and posiitve to the starter solenoid?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yrs
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
How do I test the 20 amp fuse to see if it's good

The fuse brings power to the key switch, The click at the solenoid seems to indicate the starter solenoid is not closing, or the starter has failed. If you jump the two cable terminals on the starter solenoid, with an old screwdriver, will the engine turn?

Starter solenoid may be bad!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It was the fuse pulled it out and put it back in started up

That's why you need cheap voltmeter! Thanks, ***** ***** to close.