Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Toro rear engine rider keeps blowing starter solenoids.

Customer Question

Toro rear engine rider keeps blowing starter solenoids. Battery is new, grounds are ok.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: Wouldn't start, replaced battery. Still wouldn't start. Jumped starter solenoid and starter cranked. Replaced starter solenoid and it fired right up. Died while driving and would not restart. Jumped solenoid again and cranks right over.
JA: Is there anything else the Small Engine Technician should be aware of?
Customer: No, that's it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I will be happy to assist you. How long did the replacement solenoid last, before it failed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1 run
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Died mid run actually and would not restart
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for this information. Your solenoid have a large red cable attached to each of your solenoid posts. How many small wires are attached to your solenoid?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2 small plus a 3rd that connects to the right large post that goes to positive on battery
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a 12 volt test light, or a multimeter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yea
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

One of your small wires is a ground, and the other is a hot wire from your ignition switch, when you turn your key to start position.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

We need to determine if the wire is energized, and has voltage when your key is in start position.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
which wires go where to test?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Can you get me the model numbers off your mower? I will check for a wiring diagram.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Toro, wheel horse, rear engine, model 70089
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Thanks ...

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

I did not find a wiring diagram. Which tester do you have, test light, or multimeter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Multimeter
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Ok, without a wiring diagram, I am not sure which wire is ground, and which one is your energizing wire. We will figure it out.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

What colors are the two wires?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Green & orange
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Ok, green is likely ground, and orange is likely the wire that should have voltage in start position. Are you familiar with using jumper wires?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

I am trying to determine if your solenoid is actually bad, or if you have a loss of voltage to your solenoid.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Did you use a screwdriver to jump your solenoid?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Let's try something. Instead of using your screwdriver to jump across your two large red solenoid cables, jump from hot post on your solenoid, to the terminal where your orange wire attaches to your solenoid.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Let's see if your engine will spin.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does not
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for checking. Use your meter to check for voltage on your orange wire. When checking, make sure your parking brake is locked, and your ignition switch is in start position. You should get a reading of 12 volts.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No volts, nothing
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

If you are not getting a voltage reading, this is part of our problem. Are you getting a good ground on your black probe on your meter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Far as I know
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Test your meter on your battery, to see if you get a reading ...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
12.32
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Ok ...

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Have you checked for a blown fuse?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They look good and it started right up this morning when I put the new starter solenoid on.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

The reason I asked, is because you are getting a voltage reading at your battery, but not on your orange wire.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I only see 2 - 25 amp fuses and they look good
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

The wiring connector that attaches to your ignition switch has a red wire in it. Check to see if you have voltage on your red wire in your wiring connector.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yea I do
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for checking. Do you have a piece of wire you can use to jumper across your red wire and your orange wire, in your wiring connector?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yea, nothing happens
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Is the other end of your orange wire still attached to your solenoid?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Keep in mind that your orange wire must have voltage, and your green wire had to be grounded.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Put your jumper wire back into your wiring connector, Red Wire, to Orange Wire, then check to see if you are getting voltage on the opposite end of your orange wire, at your solenoid terminal.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I have to stop here, my wife called dinner.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

No problem. Dinner is an excellent reason to stop.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I pick this back up later?
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

Absolutely. I will get an alert to notify me that you have returned.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Donald replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome! You can wait until we are finished, before you leave a rating.