Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I went to start engine as always and it would not start and

Customer Question

I went to start engine as always and it would not start and through trial and error found that it would start by crimping fuel line with needle but would not stay running. I then replaced carb. because this is a 2001 model and figured I had gotten my use out of it. This didn't work so I replace the fuel pump because this was the only thing left in the fuel line except the filter. It still will start with crimping the fuel line but will die in about 3 or4 minutes.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Small Engine Technician should know?
Customer: That is all I can think of at this point.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 6 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. So to make sure I understand you, it will run if fuel is restricted right ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Exactly, bowl fills up about 1/4 inch or more and when you restrict it, it will start after cranking out excess fuel.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I thought about my answer and I guess I had better say it starts when restricted. After starting you have to resume normal fuel flow through the line but with breather off it will spit fuel up at you as it is running until it appears to choke out.

Ok check your oil , is it thin or smell like gas ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It did before I changed the carb. but has not since then and I did change oil and filter.

Is this a new carburetor?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
As I said before, I replaced the carb. and the fuel pump.

When it was on its side did it take a hard hit ? Anything that could of messed up the ohv ? . Have you removed the gas cap and checked for fuel flow past the pump ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not trying to be smart, but did you read the first mail that I sent about it getting too much fuel to the carb. and It never was on it's side. This must be another problem from someone else.
I realize that this is probably my fault because I don't have time to set and watch the computer for answers.
Just please bear with me and I will get back to you as soon as I can.

Sorry my last respose was to another question,

If it's spraying gas up at you till it dies then the first concern is is the carburetor allowing gas to bypass the needle and inlet valve . You stated that you changed the oil and oil filter since replacing the carburetor. If you hadn't that would be my first suspicion. With the new carburetor it shouldn't be flooding itself , the float which holds the needle should cut off gas flow as the needle rises

Where was the new carburetor purchased from ?

The only reason I ask is I've had trouble with generic replica carburetors off of amazon and ebay

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It came from Jack's small engine's

If the float isn't level when held upside down it may be allowing to uch gas