Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators

We have a strong smell of gas in the trailer and when

Customer Question

we have a strong smell of gas in the trailer and when turning a corner we have gas spilling out we were told by a passer by but no gas on ground when stationary we have onan generator in the front of the trailer and the gas tank in the back of the trailer any ideas as to why ?
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
PHONE *-***-***-****
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

Without actually being able to see this, the first thing that comes to mind would be a loose/cracked hose on top of the fuel tank - possibly even the tank itself may be cracked, especially if it is a poly tank.

Inspect the tank and hoses.

If you can't see anything obvious, make sure the tank is full, and take it around the block a couple times, then check again, to see where the wet spot is.

You should also not forget to check the fill hose and cap.

are you certain it was gas that was leaking, and not water running off somewhere? Maybe you had just had rain right before that, and some pooled water was spilling off the roof?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Bought new gas Line, not on yet and a Friend told me to coil the vent tube so fuel will not leak out in a turn. is it a good idea ???? Thank You
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

I would not coil it. I would hang it up higher.

If you coil it, and the coil is down to low, and gas does manage to get into the loop, it will create a vacuum block, and the genset fuel pump may not be able to draw fuel from the tank. The tank has to be vented.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok Thank You, ***** ***** try That. not much Room to hang it Higher then the gas tank. any ideas ??? again thank You .
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.

I can not make any suggestions without being able to physically see it.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
cant get to it till next week. busy at home, hopping to take care of it soon, new gas line and instal vent tube highier .thank you
Expert:  Hank F. replied 4 months ago.