Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines

Have a Sears 917.20390 22hp tractor Briggs 22hp engine No

Customer Question

Have a Sears 917.20390 22hp tractor Briggs 22hp engine No power, stalls out. Difficulty starting. Air filter, fuel filter seem OK. For the last few weeks engine rpm would rev up and down, but now it just stalls out.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 4 months ago.

Hello thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. Your engine is revving up and down due to your carburetor starving for fuel.

Expert:  Donald replied 4 months ago.

Check to see if you are getting a good, steady flow of fuel from your fuel tank to your carburetor. Also, check your fuel shut off solenoid, to see if it works properly.

Expert:  Donald replied 4 months ago.

Your fuel solenoid should click each time you turn your ignition switch on and off. If you are getting a good flow of fuel to your carburetor, and your fuel solenoid is ok, then you will need to give your carburetor a really good cleaning.

Expert:  Donald replied 4 months ago.

Larry, we can continue from here. Thanks!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Still working on it. I thought you weren't going to bill me the rest of the charge until you determined that I was satisfied. Very presumptuous on your part. What you told me was nothing I didn't know. I was hoping to avoid removing the carb. Cleaned it outside and shot some cleaner into it. Still about the same. Lots of gas going in, no power, RPM up and down.
Expert:  Donald replied 4 months ago.

You have not been billed. You will not be billed until you are satisfied. My suggestions above are part of a troubleshooting process. Sometimes there is no way around a good carburetor cleaning. Your satisfaction is important to me.

Expert:  Donald replied 4 months ago.

Surging / rpms up and down, indicates a fuel restriction in your carburetor, in most cases.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Figured it out. Governor linkage problem. Thanks, ***** ***** don't think you should bill me for the remainder. I solved it using YouTube.
Expert:  Donald replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for letting me know. I am glad you got the problem resolved. I do hope all continues to go well for you. If you like, I can forward your question to customer service for a refund.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
please do forward my question to customer service. I do not think you should charge me the rest of the amount. As I said in my email, I had already gotten an email that I was being charged the remainder without the promised chance to approve it. I advised my credit card that I might dispute that additional charge if I felt it was not an appropriate charge and that is my feeling, since I solved it on my own. I do a lot of my own work and having a good relationship with your service may be helpful in the future.
Expert:  Donald replied 4 months ago.