Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines

I have a brand new JD D130 tractor (2.5 actual running

Customer Question

I have a brand new JD D130 tractor (2.5 actual running hours) and it always took more than one turn of the key to start the engine. It would turn over a few times, but not continue running. After several attempts it would start. The amount of times to crank it over successfully increased and after the fourth time I took it out it failed to start and the starter would not even turn the engine over. I took the battery to the Deere service center and they charged it and said it was fine. Again after a few attempts to start the engine, I am having the same issues. The starter seems to labor to turn the engine over. There is sufficient oil and gas, but with this few operating hours I am wondering if there is a serious manufacturing defect. I bought it at Lowes and it is still within the 30 day return period (by 2 days). Do you think there is a serious electrical issue?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 4 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I will be happy to assist you. You and I need to determine if our problem is fuel related, or ignition related. The reason your starter is laboring, is likely because your battery voltage is probably dropping, as you attempt to start your engine.

Expert:  Donald replied 4 months ago.

If you have some carburetor cleaner in a can, or starting fluid, spray a small burst directly into your carburetor, to see if your engine will start up and run briefly.

Expert:  Donald replied 4 months ago.

This will help to determine what is likely causing our problem.