Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Have an LX 188 Deere lawn mower, it will start up and run

Customer Question

Have an LX 188 John Deere lawn mower, it will start up and run for 25 seconds then dies like it's been shut off. Can re start but will run shorter until finally it just starts and as soon as you let off the key it dies. The fuel has not sat for very long. The air filter is clean, both spark plugs are firing. All fluid levels are ok, took out fuel filter and blew it out, lots of fuel going to pump. Took bowl of carb and the bolt has no build up on it and the float seems to be functioning properly. Not sure why it won't stay running.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Small Engine Technician should know?
Customer: Also loosened off the fuel cap and it didn't help solve the issue
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 months ago.

In the side of the carburetor is an electric solenoid, the anti-backfire solenoid, it plugs the main jet if it closes. The solenoid has to open with the key, and stay open as long as key is on. Has to have full 12 volts to stay open. Best test, remove it and plug the hole.

# ***** in the link above.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks Curtis, I removed the Anti backfire solenoid and plugged the hole with a 5/16 bolt however I had no luck with it starting and staying running

Was fuel bowl full of fuel when you removed the solenoid?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ya a bunch of fuel ran out there

Fuel pickup is in the top of the tank, Could this tube be leaking vacuum or plugged with debris? See link below.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Curtis, the fuel pickup seems to be working fine, I blew the line out to make sure there were no debris in the line. It sure seems like it's electrical, runs for a few seconds then something cuts out and it dies

You say it has good spark, so it has to be the fuel. The main jet is open> The passage the fuel solenoid closes?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yeah I just tested the spark again it has lots. The fuel filter is full of fuel. Can crack the screw to drain the bowl on carb and fuel comes out. The main jet is clear yes.

Have the valves ever been checked? .006 inch intake and exhaust? Grasping at straws!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No they haven't been. And besides the anti backfire and the seat there is nothing electrical that could shut it off?

Nothing else would cut off the engines fuel.