Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

I have a pressure washer with a Honda GC160 engine. The

Customer Question

I have a pressure washer with a Honda GC160 engine. The washer got tipped on it's side (carburetor) for an hour or two (??) and the oil went everywhere internally.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: I pumped the oil from the cylinder, replaced the plug and air filter, and cleaned the carburetor. I also drained and replace the oil and gas. The fuel filter is clean and gas flows to the fuel pump. The engine will fire with starting fluid, but is not pumping gas. I replaced the fuel pump, and still the carburetor bowl is dry. I suspect a vacuum line problem but don't know what to do about it?
JA: Is there anything else the Small Engine Technician should be aware of?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 6 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. If you disconnect the fuEl line from the carburetor does fuel flow, even if you pull the rope with the switch off ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No. I tried that first with the original fuel pump which is why I replaced it - with the same results.

That pump works off vacuumpressure, if the motor has a crankcase breather and it's loaded with oil it may not be breathing which would stop the fuel pump from working

It should be g4 in this diagram.

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/honda-gc160-type-wme2vin-gcah10000019999999-small-engine-parts-c-37657_37658_37987_37721.html?page=7

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks. I'll pull the breather cover off and look. Sounds like that could be my problem.
Ok , let me know either way if that's the issue
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not it. It was relatively clean under the cover. The tube to air inlet was clear. After putting the cover back on, still no fuel reaching the carburetor bowl. Also, a good seal around the dipstick - no air leaking.

Ok if you remove the fuel line going to the fuel pump does it drain fuel ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it flows freely.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have checked all the fuel and air lines for obstructions.
That isolates it to the fuel pump . The carb needle is dropping to allow fuel in right ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I just checked again, with the hose off between the pump and carburetor, and no flow. I just put on a new pump, Honda not aftermarket. I hooked up a vacuum gauge to the engine, and it is only registering 2 - 3 in. Is that sufficient?

Let me check

Have you tried opening the fuel cap and checking for flow past the fuel pump , if the gas cap isn't venting it can stop fuel from flowing

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I've tried leaving the cap completely off.

When it tipped did it take a hard hit ? Wondering if it could of done something to the ohv

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No, it was gentle. Someone tipped it and forgot it.
I'm sure the fuel pump is hooked up right, you were having these symptoms before replacing the carb and fuel pump right ?
If it's not the breather it has me stumped , we do know fuel isn't getting past that pump , so ithas to be s pump or vacuum issue
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Prior to the oil incident, the engine ran just fine. Once the oil was removed, the carburetor was cleaned. When I determined fuel was not making it into the carburetor, I tried cranking it with the carburetor line disconnected. With no gas coming from the pump, I replaced the pump. With the short hoses, it would be pretty difficult, and obvious, to connect it up wrong. I have a very limited knowledge of small engines, and don't know how the vacuum is created? Could there be anything internal that would limit or block the vacuum? The line from the breather cover to the air filter is clear.

The valves , other than that the crankcase vent you checked out