JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

Pearl I'm having the same issue as this link below of having

Customer Question

Pearl I'm having the same issue as this link below of having to get the drive pulley off to get to replace the cord. do i need to take it off?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: http://www.justanswer.com/small-engine/40owi-replace-pull-cord-tbe515-troy-built-edg.html
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Small Engine Technician should know?
Customer: I'm following as the guy did in the link but get down the drive pulley then I'm confused.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 6 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

In order to get the drive clutch or pulley off as you are calling it you will need to remove the spark plug from the engine. Acquire a small piece of rope around 18" - 24" long and drop one end of the rope down into the spark plug hole(insert as much of the rope into the cylinder through the spark plug hole as you can, leave enough hanging out that you can easily use it to pull the rope out when you are finished).

Down through the center of the drive sprocket there is a screw that you will have loosen in order to remove the drive sprocket, you can't remove it completely because it is captured in the sprocket. Once this screw is loosened lift the sprocket off of the shaft(be careful not to loose the small washer that is under the sprocket). Then you will need to remove the drive clutch which is threaded onto the shaft, it is standard thread and can be removed with a large pair of channel lock pliers or a hammer and punch. Once you have removed the drive clutch the housing can then be removed in order to repair the starter rope.

Thank you it has been a pleasure to assist you.

Please take a moment to rate your experience.