Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines

Briggs and stratton 17.5 hp 5bsxs 5012 vp 276016 trplaced

Customer Question

Briggs and stratton 17.5 hp 5bsxs 5012 vp 276016 trplaced the ignition coil but timing seems too advanced is there adjustment
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: the engine now starts but backfires on reaching compression
JA: Is there anything else the Small Engine Technician should be aware of?
Customer: was running fine until the coil packed up
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 5 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I will be happy to assist you. Did you set the gap between your flywheel and your ignition, after you put on your new ignition coil? If not, you will need to set your gap at 0.10"

You can use a feeler gauge, or you can use a business card for this purpose. We can continue from here.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
set it with the card they provided, possibly wrong coil as the engine number is ***** legible
Expert:  Donald replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for your reply. Have you checked your flywheel key? Your valves may also need to be adjusted.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Feel slightly embarrassed now, battery fully charged, swings the engine quickly enough to pas tdc, runs ok, thanks for the help
Expert:  Donald replied 5 months ago.

You are very welcome! No need to be embarrassed. I am here to help. When you have an opportunity, please take a moment to rate my answer. Thanks!