Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I have a GX345. It sat while without running. I changed time

Customer Question

I have a GX345. It sat for a while without running. I changed time delay module and it started, but smoked a lot. There was gasoline in the oil. I changed oil. Now it will start but only run with manual choke. Intermitently it will run fine and I can cut grass then power fails almost entirely. What do you think is happening with it?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 months ago.

Twin cylinder Kawasaki. With it running only with choke, check the fuel solenoid in the carburetor. If it does not fully open as soon as the key is turned on, the engine gets no fuel through the main jet. This solenoid has to have 12 volts at all times the key is on.

Also run a cylinder test. Loosen the spark plug wires, and with engine idling , remove one wire at a time, engine should continue to run. If not and engine dies when one wire is removed, the opposite cylinder is not firing.