Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I have just picked up a customers nearly new lawnmower

Customer Question

hi i have just picked up a customers nearly new lawnmower fitted with the 600 series engine it is running rough and smoking like the choke is stuck on,but i have found if i remove the air filter it runs fine only thing is the air filter look ok,as i say this mower is only a few months old any ideas please
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. I would like to try to help you with the mower today .

It does sound like the carburetor is the issue , it could be partially blocked, therefore it runs good with no air restrictions. Once the air filter is put on it restricts it some and it can't pick up rpms and run smoothly