Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a 2010 toro grandstand 23hp 54"deck. The mower ran

Customer Question

Hello
I have a 2010 toro grandstand 23hp 54"deck. The mower ran great yesterday. Today was a little different. The mower starts fine, idles fine, drive fine and cuts fine. But... The second you try to engage either lever inter reverse it wants to imedietly stall.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 months ago.

Does it stall or does it cut off like the key is turned? If it stalls, run a cylinder balance test. Loosen the spark plug wires and with engine idling, remove one wire at a time. Engine should continue to run. If it dies when either wire is removed, the opposite cylinder is not firing. Check for spark , may have a coil not firing.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If I hold the lever in reverse its like I turned the key off. But the second I disengage reverse the motor goes back to full power. And again works fine driving forward and cutting.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

One of the control switches is stuck and affects the drive control. Have you checked the safety switches on each side? Bad switch or plunger stuck.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Cylinder balance test passed.
I see the safety switch on right handle doesn't look connected to anything. Other end appears to be taped shut

Check the connections, one may have come loose. Also it has same setup on the left handle.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Your the man!
They had bipassed the safety switch and their old safety pin rusted and wasn't making the connection anymore.
Tha

Good job! Please rate to close and get me credit! Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you
Thank you
Problem solved!

Please rate so I get credit!

my response shows as customer!

.

Question still shows open, I need a positive rating to get credit!