Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

I have an RV with a RVQD 5000 diesel generator. It used to

Customer Question

I have an RV with a RVQD 5000 diesel generator. It used to start normally when I pushed starter button. Then gradually red light would blink, but starter wouldn't kick in. I installed a push button directly to starter, but I would like to get back to a normal start
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What is the full model number of the genset?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hank, The Model No. is 7.5HDKAJ11451D. Serial No. A990854583
Expert:  Hank F. replied 10 months ago.

OK

First off, you should not have put in a push button like that. Doing so bypassed the prime and preheat circuits, and put extra strain on the starter.

What you need to do is to go to the starter. There is a small wire attached to the starter solenoid that is marked K1 A1-J5.

Test this wire for 12V while holding the start switch. If you do not have power to this wire, you either have a broken wire between the inverter, or the inverter is bad.

You would need to remove the top and front panels to access the inverter, and locate the single plug with the wire labeled J1-5 K1, and test it for continuity from end to end.

If it is broken, you would need to repair the break.

If it is not broken, the inverter is bad.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hank, The preheat is working. I push the start and the preheat blinks, after 3 or 4 seconds I push the push button I installed. I will look for broken wire. I will get back to you.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 10 months ago.

Ok.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hank, I've got the top and front off and then came back in to review your answer. I have yet to check voltage. Where is inverter located? I lied, its a 7500kw.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am not sure of what I am thinking. When you push the start button, is there a delay before the 12 volts is directed to the starter solenoid? If so, is it a relay or is this the inverter you are talking about?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I haven't found the problem yet, hard to rate anything until I do.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 9 months ago.

When you press the start button, there is a delay built in. This delay is for the lift pump to prime the genset, as well as to allow the glow plugs to cycle. The length of the delay is dependent on temperature - the colder it is, the longer the delay.

The inverter is mounted behind the black end cover, below the start switch.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hank, The only things on the front black cover are the start switch, an hour meter and a 35 amp two pole circuit breaker. There are also two covered cables with four coils surrounding them.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 9 months ago.

The inverter is inside the genset, behind that black cover.