Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Toro 14-38 HXL (model 71193 and up) with briggs and

Customer Question

I have a Toro 14-38 HXL (model 71193 and up) with briggs and Stratton (model 28N707, type 0131-01, code(###) ###-####). Headlight do not work. Replaced headlight assembly, fuses, and relay to no avail. No power going to the switch if i tested it correctly. Could this be an issue with the recharging system (stator, diode, or magneto) or could there be grounding issues. Everything else works - it runs, all safety switches work, etc just no headlights. I have used these 2 sources as a reference:
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/4726-tractor-1997-xl-series-demystification-wiring-492-3301pdf/
http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/4725-tractor-1997-xl-series-sm-492-4734pdf/
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Please email responses to DarrellLCrum(at symbol)gmail.com.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 12 months ago.

Do you know what the stator wiring looks like? The engine model shows various stators, and the difference is the light wiring. A dual stator, has output for the battery and wire for the lights. The lights only get voltage when the engine is running.

Are you checking for voltage at the light switch with engine running? Meter would need to be on DC volts, black lead to ground, red lead to the input of the switch.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Lights use to work with key on but motor not running. I have tested every way possible (key on with motor running & key on with motor not running. Same result either way. Yes, stator has a wire for the lights and another for recharging the battery.Yes checking voltage at switch with motor running. It is on DC with bulk to grad and red to switch input
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
checking voltage at switch with motor running. Meter is on DC with black to ground and red to switch input

Where is the light switch input? Direct from stator? If so, check the stator for voltage, no voltage, the stator needs to be replaced, or power the keyswitch from the starter solenoids posiitve post.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
power to switch is from stator with 10A fuse in between. The other wire from stator goes back to solenoid and it also has a 10A fuse in between

No voltage coming from the fuse , to the light switch?

You can change input to the light switch from the second wire at solenoid.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
No voltage from fuse and no voltage from stator. This wire has a diode in it and I am wondering if this could be the problem. would you recommend that I remove some insulation from the wire proximal to the diode to see if the stator is putting out voltage? If it is then wouldn't this tell me that the stator is fine but the diode is the issue?

Yes, or just probe the wire before the diode with meter on AC volts.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Can you give me a plan B?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Can you tell me if a rectifier is involved with this circuitry?

No, if it has diodes, it has no recifier/

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
ok, could this be a grounding issue somewhere? If so, where would I begin given this scenario?

No, if no output from the stator, it is not a grounding issue.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I do not think I am any better off. See where they charged me the full amount. I thought it was supposed to only submit a $5 deposit, right? The remainder was to be charged with a satisfactory solution. Could I request a refund?

I don't deal with the site.I work from home as a contractor! If you don't think you are better off, and I didn't help. call them and ask for your money back.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
thanks

Thank you.