Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

Cub cadet 2130 from 1994. I replaced the starter and did up

Customer Question

cub cadet 2130 from 1994. I replaced the starter and did up the connections right but when I try to start it, the solenoid does not kick in. The new motor spins if I short the power lugs but it doesn't get a chance in a key start.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Small Engine Technician should know?
Customer: The previous starter had a solenoid problem in that it increasingly would have a problem throwing the gear to engage the starter. Finally it would do nothing, that's why I replaced it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 months ago.

Do you have battery voltage to the key switch from the main fuse holder? Do you hear the fuel solenoid click if you flip key on and off?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no noise from the solenoid. Checked the fuse (20A) and it is good. Replaced it anyway. Battery is not an issue. There are 2 relays. 1 is pretty warm and clicks when I use the key. The other does nothing. Something died while trying to start it with the old starter because it was clicking at the solenoid now it's not.

Swap the two relays, one is for start, the other is for pto. Appears to be he same number.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can't swap them, the connectors are different. One is like in the link (5 male spades) the other is 4.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Or are you saying replace them?

Check the one that relays to the start circuit. Does it click when key is turned on? If in doubt as to which one, flip on the pto switch with key on, NOT running. Pto relay should click when switch is pulled. Then check the start relay for input voltage and output when it is on. Likely you will want to replace it. Napa usually will have the relay.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
looking at a parts diagram, looks like one of these is an interlock, not a relay
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the other is definitely a relay and it does click when the key is turned. It also gets warm
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
you think replacing the relay is the answer?

If it is not closing, the starter solenoid does not get voltage.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK, let me try NAPA, thanks

The relay has a schematic on it. You can check it with an ohm meter.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Relay replaced, no change. Relay clicks but solenoid does not engage

Relay has to have input voltage to send to the starter solenoid. Do it have voltage to the input terminal? It sounds like the signal voltage is there, which closes the relay, but it has no output.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok, I can check later, I have to go to work.