Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines

The engine runs perfect 10 minutes, then starts to surge.

Customer Question

the engine runs perfect for about 10 minutes, then starts to surge. When the engine dies, or I shut it off, will not start again till it cools off.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: I put in new plugs, new fuel pump, fuel line, fuel filter.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Small Engine Technician should know?
Customer: cleaned the carberator, drained the gas and put new gas in
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 5 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. We need to determine if our problem is fuel related, or ignition related. Do you have some carburetor cleaner in a can, or starting fluid?

Expert:  Donald replied 5 months ago.

If so, start your engine and let it run until it dies. After your engine dies, spray a small burst of carburetor cleaner, directly into your carburetor, to see if your engine will start right back up, or if you still have to wait until your engine cools off.

Expert:  Donald replied 5 months ago.

Your fuel shut off solenoid could be faulty, and failing after it heats up. It should click each time you turn your ignition switch on and off.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The solenoid does click when I turn the key. I am able to keep the engine running with the spray.
Expert:  Donald replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for checking. Does your solenoid still click after your engine heats up and dies?

Expert:  Donald replied 5 months ago.

What brand of mower is your engine on?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How do I find a part # ***** a new solenoid? It is a woods 5120 zero turn mower.
Expert:  Donald replied 5 months ago.

To get you the correct part numbers for your fuel shut off solenoid, I will need the make and model numbers for your engine.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
kubota wg600
Expert:  Donald replied 5 months ago.

I am not too familiar with Kubota engines, but I can say that fuel shut off solenoids are expensive, regardless of engine brand. It is best to make sure that it is actually at fault before replacing it.

Expert:  Donald replied 5 months ago.

Did you remove it, at the time you were preparing to clean your carburetor?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I did take it off the carb. Do you know how much the needle moves when the solenoid is activated? is it variable?
Expert:  Donald replied 5 months ago.

The spring loaded plunger in your solenoid should retract fully, when your ignition switch is on. You can test it by removing it from your carburetor, then re-attaching your wires, and turn your ignition switch to on position. Watch to see if the plunger fully retracts.

Expert:  Donald replied 5 months ago.

I would run this test for up to 10 minutes, just to see what happens after your solenoid heats up.

Expert:  Donald replied 5 months ago.

A faulty solenoid can sometimes work perfect when cold, but fails after it heats up.

Expert:  Donald replied 5 months ago.

Another thing to check, is your fuel flow from your fuel tank to your carburetor. Check it immediately after your engine dies. Sometimes sediments, floating around inside a fuel tank, can restrict your fuel flow after a few minutes.