Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Sear Garden Tractor, Model 247 203 720. I have had this

Customer Question

Sear Garden Tractor, Model 247 203 720. I have had this tractor a little over a year. I was mowing and the tractor stop running. I have spark. I thought it was a fuel problem. Cleaned every thing drained out the gas. Bought higher octane gas. It runs for a minute and stops. I leave it still and it will start and runs a minute and stops. I am thinking it could be a sensor? Which one should I check and how do you check them?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 10 months ago.

What engine does the mower have? Model number of the engine? Look at the carburetor, for electric solenoid, this solenoid cuts the fuel off to the main jet when it is closed. It has to have 12 volts at all times, or the engine dies. Will tractor start right back up?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The engine is a 420cc. How do you check the solenoid? The thought it was the gas cap, but the breather hole is open. The battery is at 13 volts and I loaded tested the battery and it drawed it down to 12.4 volts, which is still in the good range.

You need to check the solenoid for voltage when it works and as soon as the engine dies. Will it immediately restart?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Tractor runs about a minute and stops. The longer I live it sit then it will run a minute. If not, it only runs a few seconds. I am not paying any more than the $18.00. Cut the con and give me some choices to look at.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How do you check the soleniod?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The oil level is good and this makes me think it is not that solenoid.

I think the solenoid is bad. It can be removed and the tip cut off, to use it as a dummy for a test. Or replace it with a new one, only to find out is is not bad! You can remove it and bench test apply voltage to it, and see if it stays retracted. It should hold as long as it has voltage.

What would oil level have to do with fuel solenoid?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I will try that.

OK.