Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a 17-44 HXL tractor model 71228 with a briggs &

Customer Question

I have a 17-44 HXL tractor model 71228 with a briggs & stratton engine. When I disengage the brake/clutch pedal I hear a loud "hissing-like" noise possible coming from center/rear of machine. It isn't the engine as this noise begins the moment I release brake/clutch pedal before and during movement. I would appreciate a possible explanation and appropriate remedy. Tks. Ted
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 6 months ago.

Hello Ted. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. If you are still in need of assistance, please let me know. Thanks!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello Donald: Yes, would appreciate your advise on this problem. what additional info do you need?
Expert:  Donald replied 6 months ago.

Ted, it is very likely that our problem is caused by a worn idler pulley. Keep in mind that your idler pulleys does not spin, until you release your brake/clutch pedal. This is why you only hear the noise after you release your brake/clutch pedal.

Your belt loosens, and your pulleys stop spinning immediately after your depress your brake/ clutch pedal. Spin each of your idler pulleys by hand. Listen to hear which one is bad. Your idlers should spin freely, and very quietly. Your deck idler pulleys are probably ok. Check your drive belt idlers.

Expert:  Donald replied 6 months ago.

You and I can continue from here. Thanks!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Tks. Donald for the quick reply. Given the info I provided, you feel assured that this is likely the root cause of this noise. What I find strange is the quality of the noise - a hissing sound - similar to air escaping - IO have not tried your suggested method as yet but before I do, is there any other possible cause of this noise, keeping in mind this this occurs ONLY when I release the brake/clutch pedal even before I apply the throttle for movement. Ted
Expert:  Donald replied 6 months ago.

Ted, thanks for your reply. Due to the fact that when you depress your brake/clutch pedal, everything stops spinning, including your belt, and all pulleys, except your engine pulley. This leads me to believe that our problem has to be caused by a worn pulley, or because your belt is rubbing against a belt guard/keeper.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok Donald and tks again. I'll try to look at these pulleys today and get back to you sometime later today or tomorrow. Tks. again for now. Ted
Expert:  Donald replied 6 months ago.

You are very welcome! I do hope all goes well for you.