Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a briggs and stratton 26 hp els v twin and I have bad

Customer Question

I have a briggs and stratton 26 hp els v twin and I have bad power loss . I have replaced both head gaskets and ajusted the valves to 4 and 6 and cleaned the carb, replaced the spark plugs, did a compression check and had 115 on one and 120 on the other head. Both valve rods on each side look good and strait. I need help.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Small Engine Technician should know?
Customer: I have read the cams on this motor is a problem but both seem to be moving when I rotate the engine.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 months ago.

I see what you have done, but have you ran a cylinder balance test? Loosen the spark plug wires, and with engine idling, remove one wire at a time, engine should continue to run. If engine dies when either wire is removed, the opposite cylinder is not firing. Major loss of power on the twin Briggs is usualy because it is running only on one cylinder.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will do a balance test but I have checked each coil with the plugs out and I do get fire on the plugs.

OK< check it. and see what you have. Next test I would want to do, is removing the fuel solenoid in the carburetor and plug the hole and run unit with it out of the system.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I just did a cylinder balance test and after removing both plug wires one at a time the mower stays running.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will remove the fuel solenoid and plug the hole and try to run without it. Will I need to leave the solenoid plugged in?

No.leave it unplugged.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok I took out the solenoid and plugged the hole. still when I go up steep hill or engage the pto it almost dies and I have to turn down the throttle and it catches back up.

Try running a test line from the fule pump inlet, back into the fule tank filler opening, bypassing the tank out and lines to the fuel pump.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I ran a test line from the fuel pump strait to the tank but no change. also If I throttle up to quick It will try to die also.

Fuel pump putting out good flow? If there is good flow to the carburetor, then problem will be in the carb.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will check the output of the fuel pump but it is a new pump then I will go back though the carb. Do you think not enough fuel would make it die under a load?

Yes, lack of fuel when the horsepower is required!

Did you come up with a solution?