Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I have a Pro 50 XT 22" mulching discharge model XTSY22SHP

Customer Question

I have a Pro 50 XT 22" mulching discharge model XTSY22SHP self propelled lawn mower that the mulching door fell off last fall. I'm trying to reassemble it but can't figure out how the spring goes on. The way I reassembled it wouldn't keep the cover down when mowing. The grass would blow out pushing the cover up.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 months ago.
Poulan Pro? Model number does not show. Is this the rear door, where bagger would go, or side discharge door?
spring location.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the Poulan pro and that's the right parts identification page but I can't figure out how to set the spring.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it is the side discharge like the page shows.
Expand the picture, the spring ears have to go where one is down on the deck side and the other is pushing down on the cover, Usually the spring has to be turned one round to get the tension required on the lid.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I won't be able to try this until I get home from work at 5:30 this evening.
OK, thanks.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How do I turn the spring one round? Is there a tool to use? It's really hard to turn and I can't do it by hand. Do I do it when it's assembled on the hinge rod?
If it has enough tension it may not need it, but it needs to be installed on the hinge rod for installing.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Here's my issue. I see where to put the straight spring ear that goes through the slot on the cover because I can see where there are rubbing marks from it on the plastic. It matches the straight spring ear but not the hooked one. But the other ear, the one with the hooked end, I can't see how to hook it to anything. I can't figure out what it sits against. I don't think I'm missing a part when I look at the parts list. So frustrating!
It just lays on the deck, and the pin keeps it in place.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My husband gave up and I did too. There's no tension on it like that. He's going to bring it in to have it put back on.