Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I'm trying to adjust the governor on the carb of a 97 JD

Customer Question

I'm trying to adjust the governor on the carb of a 97 JD Gator 6x4 first I need to locate the gov.then I'll take any advise on the adjustment process.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: The Gator seems to be very weak going up hills like there's not enough power.I pulled the fuel line going to the carb (from the fuel pump) and there seems to be plenty of gas getting there.I read online that you could adjust the gov.for access to more power.
JA: Is there anything else the Small Engine Technician should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 months ago.

Gator 6X4, diesel or gas? Twin cylinder Kawasaki?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Gas,It's a twin cylinder.

FD620D-AS11 twin cylinder Kawasaki. Run a cylinder balance test. Loosen the spark plug wires, and with engine idling, remove one spark plug wire at a time. Engine should continue to run. If engine dies when either wire is removed, the opposite cylinder is not firing.

The governor is inside the engine and has a shaft with lever that attaches to the carburetor linkage. You do not want to mess with it, as it controls the high rpm only. Let's see if the engine is running on two cylinders first.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'll try that.This doesn't answer my question about the governor setting.There are two possible positions for the governor rod A and B which one would be best for high altitude terrain?

# ***** is the governor lever.

What is it in now? you have only one choice!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Your right only one choice it's on A now.I'm going to give you a call in a few minutes!!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 months ago.

Did you find problem?