John Oliver
John Oliver,
Experience:  manager at White Eagle Ag and Truck Services
93794869

I have a john deere x320. I hit a rock and the engine died.

Customer Question

I have a john deere x320. I hit a rock and the engine died. It now won't start. It would hit for a split second but wouldn't keep running. What could be the problem?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: The mechanic suggested testing the fuses, which I did. They're fine.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Small Engine Technician should know?
Customer: no, that's the issue. It ran fine before I hit the rock. As soon as I hit the rock (it was a sturdy one) it died and won't start.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  John Oliver replied 11 months ago.

hey Rocky my name is ***** ***** ill see what I can do to help you out. Because all was well before the rock came into play I am afraid that I suspect that the key way on the flywheel has sheared. unfortunately that isn't an uncommon problem. Things you can do are check for spark and fuel but due to the fact it tries to fire but dies indicated to me the key has sheared. ill send a link that shows where this is located. if in fact the key has sheared it will throw the spark timing off

http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt

the best way to verify this is the issue is to remove the flywheel

any luck Rocky?