Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I'm Mel Pratt. I have a john deere gt235. While mowing, the

Customer Question

HI, I'm Mel Pratt. I have a john deere gt235. While mowing, the pto quits, randomly, as many 15 - 25 times during a 45 minute period. All works fine as soon as I push the pto switch in and immediately pull it back out ( to engage the pto).
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Small Engine Technician should know?
Customer: O don't believe so.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  John Oliver replied 5 months ago.
hey MEl my name is ***** ***** ill see what I can do to help. When this happens the engine stays running correct?my experience has been that the ignition module tend to fail when they warm up (deere part# *****)first thing to check would be power at your seat switch when this happens. there is also the possibility of a wire broken and playing games with you. check connection at pto, ignition and seat switch firstthanks mel and let me know what you find
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
engine keeps running. seat switch has been bypassed pto connection looks ok
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
how can I identify the ignition module?
Expert:  John Oliver replied 5 months ago. is the module. located just under the cowel. do you have the tools to check amperage draw on the electric clutch?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yesterday I cut grass moving at max rpm but travelling at about 1/2 speed. The pto did not quit nearly as much as it does when I travel at high speed. When the pto quits, there is no pattern as to the intervals between quits. Does this help? I don't have any way to check amp draw.
it sounds to me like the electric clutch is getting hot and drawing to much amperage. let me see if I can find an ohm spec on that