Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

Honda 4 cycle string trimmer hh25? Has always bogged at high

Customer Question

Honda 4 cycle string trimmer hh25? Has always bogged at high speed and under load. I am at altitude and wonder if it is possible to get a high altitude jet to resolve this. The place I bought it found no problem. I use my neighbors 2 cycle trimmer and get amazing rpms, my honda which cost twice as much has half the rpms and is worthless.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the Small Engine Technician should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 months ago.
Honda list no parts for high altitude change over. But they do say the dealer can make modification to the fule system for high altitude operation. I would contact local Honda dealer and see if they will change it for you!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Well, like I said the dealer found no problem and that was when it was 2 weeks old. I don't hold them in high esteem. In fact they said the high altitude thing (which I also saw in the manual) was not necessary. This is why I paid to ask questions here. Hoping to do something about this myself.So why does it bog, why can't it gain high rpms?Other than suggesting a dealer repair, can you suggest adjustments to the carb? Maybe it's that. Without a dealer I can trust, I'd rather try myself. can you tell me how? Any other tuning that can be done? Youtube reviews say that this thing is great, but when it bogs because I hit some thick weeds, I'm thinking there is a problem. Hopefully fixable...I'm prepared to dump this thing and buy a 2 cycle that sings. Do you have knowledge of a quality mid-level one? Home Depot has Echo, but is that good? I have 3 acres and trim around trees once per year, plus around lawn a few times per year.
If it has adjustable carburetor screws, you would turn the high speed screw and see if it runs better in or out. But many no longer have the high/low adjustments!
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That is quite vague. Is there anyone here that knows these Hondas? I'm not satisfied with this level of discussion. I would prefer if someone knowledgeable could help me troubleshoot this thing.
Sure , Let me opt out.