John Oliver
John Oliver,
Experience:  manager at White Eagle Ag and Truck Services

I have a kolher k301 spec 47460. starts ok run ok until you

Customer Question

I have a kolher k301 spec 47460. starts ok run ok until you put a load on it, such as going up a steep grade or pulling a load, then it stumbles, sputters and sometimes backfires.
I removed the carb. disassembled it cleaned and readjust it, cleaned the in tank filter, and added an in line filter. still has the problem. any ideas
Joe(###) ###-####
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  John Oliver replied 5 months ago.

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** ill see what I can do to help. Sounds like you have covered the basics and that's a great first step. Its still possible to have a bad carb even though you took apart and cleaned it. This new ethanol fuel is very hard on these small engines. Have you gone threw the adjustments on the carb itself? the main jet could be starving for fuel.

this link is the operators manual for this engine and on page 12 it describes the adjustment procedure. Have a read on that and let me know which way you want to head to next

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have adjusted the Walbro carb according the directions

have you done anything with the ignition system? such as swapping out the spark plug or coil wire?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
new plug not the coil wire

a new coil wire wouldn't hurt (hard to determine if electrical components are breaking down vs. fuel issues)

what I would do next is get some additive for the gas (sea foam or K100) and try running that threw the system.

new points and condenser wouldn't hurt anything either. there are inexpensive and need replacing from time to time

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'll try it