Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a husquavarna riding lawn mower with a briggs and

Customer Question

I have a husquavarna riding lawn mower with a briggs and stratton engine engine model # *****(###) ###-####B1.
The motor will not start with out using choke cleaner it cranks and cranks but will not start remove cover spray a small amount of choke cleaner in carb and it fires right up and runs fine after but engine does seem to lose power after it gets hot.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 months ago.

This is the briggs twin OHV engine. Need to run a cylinder balance test. Loosen the spark plug wires and with the engine idling, remove one wire at a time. If the engine dies when wire is removed, the opposite cylinder is not firing. If not firing, check it for spark and compression. If it has spark and compression and still will not fire, check the valves on that cylinder. May have a pushrod off. With just one cylinder firing, it will be hard to start and have lack of power.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I preformed test and engine ran when each plug wire was removed reinstalled wire went to other side and same thing engine ran when wire was removed.
what would you check next still having problems starting and mower has lack of power after running 30 mins.

Did you run the cylinder test when engine was hot and has lack of power?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I did perform while warm .

OK, let's look at the start issue, is the choke flap in the carburetor closing completely when you go to the choke position? The throttle max is choke position?