Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I had turn open the hydrolic valves to roll my John Deers

Customer Question

I had turn open the hydrolic valves to roll my John Deers Z425 mower. Now I tightened the valves and the right side will not work
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: My battery was dead, so I had to be able to push it to the charger, so I open the valves to be able to move it manually. Once I charged the battery, I closed the valves, crank the motor to cut grass. The right side isn't steering at all (it's all hydrostatic)
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Small Engine Technician should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Small Engine Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 10 months ago.
Z425 shows to have release rod for the transmissions. what valves did you loosen and tighten?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The ones that will allow you to freewheel the machine
you turn them out to freewheel. The parts list shows two release rods in the rear! No release rods on yours that may have been pulled?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm not following what you are saying. The valve that my finger is on, is designed to be turned counter clockwise one full turn on each side (left & right) . That's what I've done in the past, and never had a problem, only this time
http://jdpc.deere.com/pimages/0001/0001738576____________A1.gif
1 in the parts list above for Z425 , is what shows to be release rod, one on each transmission. Does not match what you have!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No, the release valves on on the actual Hydrolic pump directly under the seat
Like the Z225. I wonder about the deere parts manuals! I guess you have turned it out and in ,just to see if it makes any difference.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have. I actually left the valve open and tried to "bleed" it. I had plenty fluid coming out. Tightened it back up, and still the same...
Did you remove it from the housing? It may show something. I thought they were needle valves, maybe the needle tip is broken!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No, I did not completely remove it. I will try that tomorrow. Thanks
Let me know what you find.