Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Rototiller with a Briggs & Stratton engine. It has

Customer Question

I have a Rototiller with a Briggs & Stratton engine. It has been running great up until a couple of days ago. It would start on the first pull and would continual to run until I was finish with the job. To start it, I would put the choke on and once it was started, I would ease off on the choke and it would continually run great. This last time I ease off the choke, it wanted to quit on me unless I kept the choke on but then I didn't have the power to work the ground. I have had this tiller since June of 2000 and it has been running great until now. I hope you can help with this problem.
Jack
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 10 months ago.

Hi Jack my name is ***** ***** welcome to Just Answer. It sounds like the carburetor has become partially blocked, so it can't run with choke off and runs poorly with choke on

Hi Jack have you done any more with the tiller

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I kind of figured that it could be the carburetor. How hard or easy is it to take apart?

This type isn't bad it's more of a pain bEcause the gas tank has to come off etc

Here is a diagram of the carburetor

https://www.partstree.com/parts/briggs-and-stratton/engines-horizontal-engine-with-recoil-starter/137202-1134-e1-briggs-stratton-engine-rewind-starter/carburetor-group/

Hi just seeing how you made out with the carburetor