John Oliver
John Oliver,
Experience:  manager at White Eagle Ag and Truck Services

I own a TB575EC. Love it... this past weekend however, when

Customer Question

I own a TB575EC. Love it... this past weekend however, when I pull the cord to start it all I get is a clicking sound - motor does not turn over. I'm mechanical so I want to fix this myself. Is this the clutch assy that needs replaced?
Category: Small Engine
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Please specify a link for parts, if possible so I can compare my searches.
Expert:  John Oliver replied 5 months ago.

hey Dwayne I'm john and I think we can solve this issue pretty easy. when you pull the recoil rope there are "dogs" that come out and grab the flywheel. If you remove the recoil assembly you will probably find some debris in there that is preventing the dogs from catching. clean and lube and you should be in good shape

good luck and please write back if you need further assistance

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no replacement parts? just clean it up?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
btw, I got this disassembled down to what looks like a flywheel - this was held on by a torx screw in the middle. I do not know how to get this off because the engine/piston turns.... I read online that someone says to put a small length of rope inside the cylinder... is that a good idea or how can I keep the rotating assy from turning?
Customer: replied 5 months ago. silver cylinder in that picture is where I got it disassembled to...
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

ok sorry for the delay. do you need to tear down any further? when you pull the recoil can you see where the mechanical arms grab your flywheel?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it is under the silver cylinder I referenced in the link I put in this chat session... how can I stop the piston from turning to get this off to see what is underneath to do as you ask?

to answer your question... yes it is completely safe to put a piece of rope in the cylinder to keep it from turning

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
please read my responses....
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
thank you. is that assembly called the clutch assembly then, just in case cleaning/lubing does not fix this?

here is a little more detailed link. yes what you refered to is the clutch assembly...but I don't thinkyou need to go that far. the clutch assembly only comes into play when the engine is running. look closer at where your recoil assembly attaches to the engine shaft

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I guess I will have to put some rope in the cylinder, get that silver cylinder off and see what I can see. thank you.

he Dwayne were you able to tear your trimmer down any farther?