Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I have a John Deere 265 lawn tractor. It's been running

Customer Question

I have a John Deere 265 lawn tractor. It's been running great all season and now will not start without starting fluid. Then runs for a few minutes and dies. I already changed spark plug and gas in mower is new.
Any thoughts? My next step was to try and clean out the carb.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.
Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you. Check to make sure you are getting a steady flow of fuel, from your fuel tank, to your carburetor. If your fuel flow is good, then it is very likely that your carburetor needs to be cleaned.
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.
Also, check the fuel shut off solenoid on your carburetor.
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.
It should click each time you turn your ignition switch on and off.
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.
We can continue from here. Thanks!
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The fuel filter seems to have plenty of fuel in it, and the fuel pump was replaced a few years ago. Not sure I know what the fuel shut off solenoid looks like.Btw, I'm not with the tractor right now so I am unable to try anything at the moment
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.
Your shut off solenoid screws into the bottom of your carburetor. It has a wire/wires attached to it.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok, I think I know that this is. Should I try to replace it or look at some other option first? I do no believe I have replaced this part before, likely original from 1994.
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.
Check it first, before replacing it. This part is sort of pricey. Remove it from your carburetor, then re-attach the wires to it. Turn your ignition switch on and off, as you observe the spring loaded plunger in your solenoid. It should retract when your switch is on.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok, I will try this test this evening. Thanks.
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.
You are very welcome!
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
solenoid clicks when I turn the key. I did not remove it to check the plunger, but I removed the carb, and gas poured out of it. That does not seem right; I did not think the carb held gas. Do I clean the carb and how? I do not see how to take it apart.
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.
To clean your carburetor, you will need to remove your fuel bowl. To remove your fuel bowl, you will first need to remove your fuel shut off solenoid.
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.
Use some carburetor cleaner in a can, and compressed air, to clean your fuel bowl and your carburetor. Clean every hole you see in your carburetor.
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.
You can also use a small wire to carefully clean the small jet and small fuel passages in your carburetor.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok, thanks. Just to bring the discussion back to my original description, the mower would not start without starter fluid but then would only run for a few minutes before stalling. Does this sound like a clog in the carburetor, particularly with fuel apparently building up in it as I noticed when I removed it?
Expert:  Donald replied 9 months ago.
If your engine will only start up if you use starting fluid, then it is very likely that you have either a clogged jet, or clogged fuel passages in the body of your carburetor. Keep in mind that fuel can enter your carburetor, but can be restricted, due to a restriction in your fuel flow, within your carburetor.